I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client.
A friend moved house recently and I wanted to bring her a gift that didn’t require eating, or a vase. She’s just had a baby, and I was reminded of a beautiful bouquet I received when LBG was born that was made from socks and booties and useful things. Then last week I saw a wreath made from nappies on Pinterest, which is how I came to decide that the perfect housewarming gift would be a wreath made from cleaning supplies.
You always need cleaning supplies when you move house. There’s stuff to clean and wipe and wash and you can’t find your cleaning things because they are still in boxes. So I headed to my local Poundland– I rarely do any preparation where this kind of project is concerned, but adapt to what’s in stock- to stock up on items with which to craft. You can see my Google Plus Photo album of my shopping experience for more details about my purchases. I came across a sock-hanger which I thought could double as the wreath-form, thus saving me from making a mad dash to the nearest garden centre. I filled my basket to the brim with cloths and tea-towels and so forth, although there were only small-sized rubber gloves so I had to do without. But the entire basket came to less than £20 and I had more than enough to play with.
I started by taking a couple of the roll of J-cloths and ripping them into thin strips, which I could use to tie the items together to fashion the wreath: the whole point is that everything should be usable so I couldn’t go mad with the glue-gun.
Once done, I tied sections of the hanger- pegs included- in sponge cloths and secured with the strips of J-cloth. I then wrapped the entire frame in a roll of drawer liner, before wrapping layers and layers of J-cloths over the top. I tucked the loose end into a fold, and began work on the decoration for my finished wreath-form.
To make the flowers, I used a flower-rolling technique I once used when revamping lampshades. I rolled up the micro-fibre cleaning cloths and secured with yet more strips of fabric- tied tightly enough they will hold their shape. I then tied them to the frame. The two-coloured flower was made by wrapping two cloths, one inside the other, and I used a green cloth, rolled up, to create the leaves. I then added some artificial flowers and a set of battery-operated dragonfly lights!
Every wreath needs a bow and mine is made from two tea-towels, once again tied in place where needed. Finally I cut the letters from a New Home card and used some fabric tape to make the mini-bunting that goes across the front. I added a very fragrant tulip-shaped loo-deodoriser, and took it with me to my friend’s new house.