Moving on from the last Introducing Art session, I thought that it would be good to do a project that would coincide with the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations this year, and in my cruising around Pinterest, this work by Hockney seemed to fascinate both of The Girls. So I spent some time one evening working out how we could recreate it.
”]It may seem to an outsider that I have rather abandoned my children to focus on this project by myself. Indeed on most sites joining in on the Kids Get Arty these projects clearly have very strong child involvement. What I would like to point out at this juncture is that my child finds delight in replicating things as closely as possible. She does not like to deviate from originals in any way, whether it is song lyrics, book text or art. So if it shouldseem that we have been replicating rather than creating art ‘inspired by’, then this is the defense I would offer.
Back to the project. We obviously looked at the picture, talked about it- how pretty the Queen was, how lucky she was to wear jewels and diamonds, how much my girls love pink-, and then talked about how we might be able to create a similar piece. LBG very quickly remembered a fun morning she had with contact paper and tissue paper for an Easter art project. As luck would have it, we had a piece left over*, so I dug it out and went to work drawing a picture of the Queen.
Given LBG’s fondest for accuracy, I was able to find a printable line drawing of The Queen, similar to the one in Warhol’s Pop Art. By placing it behind the contact paper art on a window on a sunny day, I was able to trace the details of the drawing onto the colourful contact paper. Her eyes look a little odd if you ask me, but that’s me being a bit perfectionist.
The last step was to look at our picture next to the original Masterpiece. We noticed that there was another layer of colour on the top of the art, so I found some tubes of acrylic paint, and LBG had a good time choosing which colours should go where. I squeezed small amounts of each paint directly onto the painting and she used her fingers to smear it as she saw fit.
*I laid a piece of contact paper, sticky side up, on her little table, secured with tape so it didn’t move, and gave her a huge bowl filled with cut-up pieces of tissue paper in a variety of colour. When she had finished covering the contact paper, I covered the art with another piece of contact paper, thus creating a sandwich. I cut this down to A4 size.