How to make wax crayon pumpkins

I saw this tutorial recently and it sparked something in my mind, particularly as I had been thinking of making these leaves. Thus theWax Crayon Pumpkin was born.

First, grate your crayons: we used two oranges with a touch of brown and yellow.

grated wax crayon

Second, heat your oven to 120C* and lay protective cover over your baking tray (either foil or more baking paper.)

Then lay your wax jam discs on top, well spaced.

Place a small spoon of wax gratings on top

ready for the oven

Bake in the oven for a few minutes until melted.

Take out and cover your melted wax with a second disc.

put a wax disc on top

Leave to cool, then decorate your pumpkins with permanent marker.

I haven’t worked out what we are going to use these for yet: Pumpkinfest ’11 is still a few weeks away. You could string them together either as a garland, or mobile: they look particularly pretty and colourful in front of the light so would work well as suncatchers.

* you could also make these using an iron to heat your wax- just sandwich your gratings between the wax paper discs and iron carefully until melted.

Comments

1. says

Right up my street, easy to make. Came across your site via Red Ted whilst looking for inspiration to put on my first ever Halloween party for my boys. Thank you, great blog xx

2. says

For grating the crayons you can use one of those crayon sharpeners as well :)This is a great idea I think we’re going to do it this week!

3. Becky says

In the past I have gotten the cheap pencil sharpeners $1/6 at the Dollar tree and had the kids sharpen the crayons outside into a brown paper bag to get the shavings. Still lots of static- maybe wipe their arms with a dryer sheet??
    What is the wax jam disc? Can you use parchment paper or wax paper instead?

• Domestic Goddesque says

Thanks for the grating tip Becky. The wax discs are used in jam (jelly) making: they get put on top of the jam, in the jar, I think to keep the fruit pressed down. You can buy them ready made. I am sure that you oculd use baking parchment instead.

• Domestic Goddesque says

Glad you like them Jamie: like I said to Anna, be careful of your fingers. Oh and grating the wax crayon makes a lot of static: the gratings get everywhere!

• Domestic Goddesque says

I used wax side up but would probably do it the other way in future. The melted wax adheres better to the non-waxy side. And no-one has ever called me sickeningly clever- I’m well chuffed!

Trackbacks

Go on! You know you want to tell me what you think!