I don’t know whether you have this issue but my children ask for an apple, promise to eat the whole thing and then hand me half of it back ten minutes later saying that they are full. There aren’t that many uses for a half-eaten apple but I think I’ve found one that works well.
A few store-cupboard ingredients and you can have a delicious breakfast or post-school treat.
- 2 apples- or parts of- peeled, cored and grated.
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl- it helps to mix dry first and then add egg.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Melt a little butter, then add dollops of mix onto the hot pan. Press down with the back of a spoon to form a rough circle.
- Fry for a couple of minutes until the under side is browning and crispy. Flip and fry for a further minute- 90 seconds.
- Keep warm on a plate in the oven until you have used all the mix up.
Delicious for breakfast, or with cream or ice-cream. For a delicious grown-up treat, try Calvados Cream!