Dashing (safely) Through the Snow
Top Tobogganing Safety Tips from The Handpicked Collection
If the forecasters are to be believed, we’re in for more snow this winter, which is great news for children who can’t wait to wrap up warmly and run outside for some sledging fun! Make sure your children know exactly what’s what to prevent accidents ruining their favourite wintry activity with these sensible tips:
1. Choose a hill with a gentle slope and a long run-off area at the bottom.
2. Make sure the hill has a good blanket of snow, and avoid hard, icy patches.
3. Avoid any potential obstacles, including rocks, trees, fences and mole-hills.
4. Use a well-designed, sturdy sledge with good handholds. Homemade toboggans will be difficult to control and therefore less safe.
5. Always toboggan in daylight, or in well-lit areas so that you can clearly see your route down the hill.
6. Sledge sitting up and facing forwards; never go down head first, backwards or standing up.
7. Wait until the previous person has got to the bottom before setting off.
8. Make sure all your clothing and your limbs are safely tucked in.
9. If you fall off your sledge or stop unexpectedly, move out of the path of other sledges immediately.
10. Dress properly with warm hats, gloves, waterproof clothing and sturdy footwear.
Snap up your sledge from The Handpicked Collection so that it’s ready and waiting for when the snow lands!
Super Sleigh £19.95
*I have not been remunerated in return for this post. I just adore The Handpicked Collection*