Can I just say that my mother-in-law has changed my life? They were down a couple of weeks ago and, being parents, didn’t come empty-handed. I love presents (who doesn’t) and got even more excited when she handed me a Lakeland bag. I love Lakeland. So I was a happy bunny before I even tried out the exciting gift, which turned out to be a Mango splitter. On it’s own, it does look a little scary, and rather large. But you know what a nightmare mangoes can be…the best way to eat them really is in the bath! So I headed out to Tesco’s this morning to buy a mango on which to test my new and exciting kitchen gadget. And wouldn’t you know, they were on offer (does this day not keep getting better?) And all I can say is “Wow!” This gadget is great-so smooth and easy to use and it really does take out the stone simply. Which I happily chewed until the juices ran down my face. Should have eaten it in the tub after all.
Now I have a lovely mango to use in my yummy summer lunch. Mango splitter- if you don’t have one, get one!!!
Mango and Mozzarella salad (serves 1)
Once again from the recesses of my memory rather than my little green book, which is still missing. Grrr.
1 mango, sliced
1 ball mozzarella
handful fresh basil
1. Slice mozzarella and put in a shallow dish.
2. Mix two tablespoons oil with one of balsamic. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and season. Crush coriander seed with pestle and mortar and add to dressing. Pour over mozzarella and leave to marinade for half and hour or so.
3. Meanwhile, split and slice mango.
4. Arrange green leaves (I use rocket and baby spinach for flavour and little gem for crunch) on a serving plate. Alternate slices of mango and mozzarella, drizzle over remaining marinade then sprinkle with shredded basil leaves.
5. Serve with parma ham and crusty bread. Eat al fresco in the shade with a glass of rose.